24 March 2012

The Time I Dated a Mayan Priest and Then Woke Too Migrainey to Write Properly

Dating a neo-Mayan priest. Nice sister, who was blond for some reason. We were persecuted, so we hid our beliefs. Found an underground temple—tan concrete, with smooth columns and lined with torches—and had a nice ceremony. Everyone using sacred Egyptian words like ma'at that I remember from when I worked on that Egyptologist's book and had to learn some ancient Egyptian. Cut to a cinematic animated section where we learn how the Egyptian religion was carried through the skies to the Mayans by a god, and I'm thinking, Yeah, right. It was probably carried with several migrations like the Lehites, the Mulekites, and other movements to the Americas that we don't know about. But whatever. Then the ceremony ends and we start to go home. But no! The guy's sister and I are going home, but he's staying. People are after us! "Get in the car!" she orders me. I squish in the backseat with three other small young women. The car breaks down as soon as we get on the highway. A big truck with a blue undercarriage light stops and opens it's door, but we can't see the driver. I'm afraid it's one of our enemies. The guy's sister flags down a large pickup white truck from a phone company or something, and the visible driver opens his extended cab. The sister and another girl get in. The third girl and I realize there's only one seat in that extended cab, and the first two girls have taken all the space. I decide to run back to my boyfriend. "No!" shouts his sister, struggling to be free of the cramped cab.

I arrive back at the temple. A smaller group is dancing in a frenzied set of circles. Whenever their feet touched the ground, flames sprang up but didn't burn them. I saw my boyfriend down in the middle of it, wearing red, green, and gold feathers and a red tunic and almost surrounded by flames. At first I thought the second ceremony was for true Mayans only, but then I saw a couple suspiciously guera women in the circles, so I wasn't sure. What I was sure of was that the people up in the foyer, from which I was looking down at the ceremony, were freaked out by my being there. "You should leave, Hermana," they kept telling me, but our enemies were nowhere in sight. I said, "No," and started twirling around and kicking my legs. The foyer floor sparked a little! I twirled more and started soaring several feet in the air every time I jumped. Is this why he didn't want me here, I wondered, because I'm too powerful? I danced down the steps and onto the temple floor, real flames springing from my feet now. Some of the other dancers scattered as I came near them with the flames. They caught the edges of a few people's robes and had to be stamped out. My boyfriend looked at me in horror: "You shouldn't be here." And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment