04 July 2010

Great Lines from Much Ado about Nothing

Benedick. What, my dear Lady Disdain! are you yet living?
Beatrice. Is it possible that disdain should die while she hath such meet food to feed it as Signior Benedick?

Beatrice. I would rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me.

Don John the Bastard. Though I cannot be said to be a flattering honest man, it must not be denied but I am a plain-speaking villain.

Beatrice. [God sent] me no husband, for the which blessing I am at him upon my knees every morning and evening.

Beatrice. Adam's sons are my brethren, and truly I hold it a sin to match in my kindred.

Don Pedro (of Beatrice). She were an excellent wife for Benedick.
Leonato. O Lord, my lord, if they were but a week married, they would talk themselves mad.

Benedick. The world must be peopled!

Benedick. When I said I would die a bachelor, I did not think I should live till I were married.

Benedick. Ha! "Against my will I am sent to bid you come in to dinner"—there's a double meaning in that.

Hero. Some Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.

Dogberry. To be a well-favored man is the gift of fortune, but to read and write comes by nature.

Dogberry. O villain! thou wilt be condemn'd into everlasting redemption for this.

Conrade. Away, you are an ass, you are an ass!
Dogberry. Dost thou not suspect my place? Dost thou not suspect my years? O that he were here to write me down an ass! But, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it may not be written down, yet forget not that I am an ass.

Beatrice. I love you with so much of my heart that none is left to protest.

Benedick. Thou and I are too wise to woo peaceably.

Claudio. Another Hero!

Benedick (to Beatrice). Come, I will have thee, but by this light, I take thee for pity.
Beatrice. I would not deny you, but by this good day, I yield upon great persuasion, and partly to save your life, for I was told you were in a consumption.
Benedick. Peace, I will stop your mouth. Kissing her.

Benedick. Prince, thou art sad, get thee a wife, get thee a wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment