28 October 2009

First Job Interview Since October 2006

(I hope it's legal to use this cartoon if it has the copyright info on it. It's not like I'm making money on this blog that no one reads.)

Yesterday I had my first job interview since I've been looking for a post-mission job. This was exciting just because sending out tons of résumés both to business contacts and in response to employment ads and getting no replies was getting more than a little frustrating. It was all very serendipitous (in other words, providential) too, for I was uncostumed at the ward FHE Halloween costume party, which I likely wouldn't have attended had my brother not wanted me to take him, and getting ready to leave when the bishop's wife suddenly called me over and asked if I was still looking for a job. She pointed me towards this great sister in the ward who said that an LA law firm that rents a small office from her company was looking for a English/Spanish bilingual legal assistant to run its fledgling Portland branch, which will work primarily with members of the Latino community here. The firm is perfectly willing to train the person it hires too. Someone was fired unexpectedly or something, so the firm was holding one day of very last minute interviews in order to fill the position by next week. The sister in my ward found out about the Tuesday interviews on Monday. Since I am English/Spanish bilingual, have strong office skills, and learn quickly, it is a job that I could actually excel at.

I have no idea if I'll get the job, but it was nice to get an interview for once. My skills are a little rusty since I took that LDSERS course this summer—for example, I think I may have grossly over-quoted the salary range for the job (I said $30–45K) just because on the Internet I couldn't find much information about how much inexperienced legal assistants make and I didn't want to admit that I have a history of being grossly underpaid in general and even $20,000 is a step up—so this interview was good practice if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment