28 January 2011

The Time I Tried to Prevent the Fall of a Slavic/Teutonic Empire with Magic


Last night I dreamt I was a teenager and lived in a huge nineteenth-century Slavic or Teutonic palace. My parents worked there or something. My best friend was the teenaged crown prince (except his uncle was the emperor, which would make the heir like a duke or something). The palace was all gold-leaved carved wood and red velvet.

Anyway, there was this evil adviser to the emperor who was a mixture of Rasputin and Jafar. He made a plot to murder the emperor and his heir with magic. He struck the emperor first, and I could see it happening even though my friend and I were all the way on the other side of the palace. The emperor was tied to a chair and green smoke was all around him.

I told my friend what was happening, and he strapped on his sword, grabbed my hand, and started running through the palace to get to his uncle. We ran through a big concert hall with a red curtain like from the Moulin Rouge! DVD, up huge flights of thickly carpeted stairs that slowed us, and into a huge amphitheater that looked a little like an ornate version of the House Chamber in the Capitol Building. I was so tired. I was wheezing, and my shins burned.

"Come on!" said my friend, pulling me along. I wanted to let him go alone, but I knew he could not fight the wannabe usurper without my magical help.

I sprinted off the balcony of the chamber and swooped down with my arms outstretched. I was flying! I wanted to fly all the way to the small tower room where the emperor was dying, but I didn't have that in me. I looked down. My friend had disappeared.

I didn't know where I was going. I needed to be with him, but I'd never been in that part of the palace before. I tried to follow him, but I just ended up in the concert hall again. I closed my eyes and saw my friend blaze into the tower room with his sword out, and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment