23 September 2010

The Time I Left a Bunch of Hypodermic Needles on Amtrak


This afternoon I dreamt that I lived on the East Coast and habitually rode Amtrak. I got to know this Italian family with a little baby and an older man with good stories. I also had these plastic boxes of hypodermic needles that I used for migraine medication and to counteract the effects of my bug bites. Since I traveled in the same car all the time, I started leaving all the hypodermic needles in my compartment, which was spartan, white, and cold, with gray benches.

Then suddenly my parents appeared and said I needed to get off at the next stop. I was still getting my bags together when the train stopped, so each of them grabbed a suitcase and exited the train. Leaving all of my hypodermic needles, I took one suitcase and followed them, but I was too slow and soon the train jerked and I fell down in the doorway and saw my parents rapidly retreating as the train sped down the Columbia (because we'd switched coasts for no reason).


I felt like I was going to be flung out the open doorway and under the train. It was very scary. Finally, I crawled back into the train to get my hypodermic needles. This young New Yorker Kirstie Alley character was in my compartment and offered to help me get my stuff off the train. She started packing my stuff up, and then the train stopped again but I wasn't ready. I pulled the yellow cord to tell the conductor I had to get off. At the next stop, the conductor actually came down and started yelling at me for not getting off the train fast enough. The New Yorker tried to soothe him because he was her boyfriend.

I jumped off without the needles, and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment