12 June 2013

The Time I Found the Dark Underbelly of the Mermaid World

This is actually a crumbling overpass in Portland. The sky is much too dark for LA. Source.
Last night I dreamt that I arrived for shore leave on Earth on the USS Enterprise-D, which looked more like the Galactica in that it was crumbling and even Dr. Crusher was jaded. Western civilization was in decline, so LA's infrastructure basically looked like Portland's. I knew we were in LA though because it was sunny. That pretty autumn afternoon golden sunlight that I love so much was glinting off a extremely high, extremely angled overpass and one support had been snapped like a toothpick by a large weed. Cars were still driving on the rickety thing because the other supports were still more or less intact. Nevermind that the whole overpass shuddered when large trucks went over it and that LA has lots of earthquakes. Come to think of it, we were all standing on a platform under that overpass, and only I was worried about it.

My dreams have no taste. Or appropriate bosom support.

Once we decided when we were going to meet up, I went down to the water and dived in to visit my sister (Phoebe Halliwell), a witch-mermaid who had a split tail. We met at an underwater bar, which was very snazzy with neon glowy cocktails. My sister told me that mermaids and humans were being attacked by a vicious monster. I decided to investigate. My sister's friend came over. She was a werewolf-mermaid, which meant she was a floating scary head with four white jelly arms. After asking around, we found out we were looking for a beautiful single-tailed mermaid who turned into a scary CGI too-open-mouthed monster before she devoured her victims.

P.S. Did you know that there is a Mermaid Wiki? And that it has very little about melusines or Romanesque iconography? Also, that's Rufus Sewell in a low-budget creature feature, which I think is his rightful place, if he has to be in films at all.
We went to a mermaid bar. We checked out a blue vampire-mermaid by spying on her, but she didn't devour her victims, so it wasn't her. (Btw, I have no idea how I was breathing during this dream. Maybe I was a vampire and didn't need to breathe? I may have been a witch?) Anyway, I finally hid behind some coral and saw a beautiful single-tailed mermaid seduce another mermaid, turn into the floating scary head, and devour her prey. Or she was a mermaid-banshee. It was confusing. And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment