04 May 2013

The Time Wolves Attacked My Bus

Last night I dreamt that a friend (I don't remember who) and I were riding a long-distance coach bus on vacation Out of Town, only we hadn't gotten Out of Town. We were still in The City, and it was a warm evening at that awkward time when the sky is getting deep blue and the orange street lights are coming on and most of the cars have their headlights on but not all of them. Then three wolves appeared and started running alongside the bus.

My subconscious is so uncool.

The wolves were gray and black with yellow eyes, but they were also about two to three times bigger than actual wolves are supposed to be. (I'm guessing here. I don't exactly have the most proportional mental picture of wolves in my schema. The worst thing is that the wolves were probably so big because I've seen Twilight sequel previews that were burned in my brain. The wolves are big in those movies, right?) Anyway, the wolves also stank like dog urine and musk. I can't describe the smell much better than saying musk.

The smell was more terrifying than watching them catch up to the bus and dart in front of it, but no one got up to close the windows because the driver was making wild evasive maneuvers, and we were holding on to the seats in front of us as the bus careened wildly over the road.

"I didn't know the Alaskan wolves had reached Seattle!" said my friend. Then the dream rewound and she said, "We need to get out of Seattle. These are city wolves!" which makes much less sense.

Anyway, I got this horrible impression that this was turning into another post-apocalyptic dream, except instead of the city breaking into warring tribes, it was being overrun by giant man-eating wolves. Maybe we weren't even going on vacation! We were evacuating! By that point, the wolves had cut off our path out of the city, and we were heading back downtown. A female wolf ran ahead and stood in the street that we were currently barreling down. The bus driver decided to make an offensive maneuver and slam into her, but she lay down at the last moment, sacrificing herself for her hungry comrades, so that instead of knocking her out of the way, the bus rolled partly over her body, tipped, and fell on its side. The two remaining wolves got closer. We crawled out of our seating, bleeding and bruised, and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment