10 October 2010

The Time I Got Extra Bonus Points for Entering a Tongan Wedding Reception through the Kitchen


Last night I dreamt I went school shopping at a really nice mall Target in southern California. I looked at a lot of nice dresses, but I'm not sure I bought one. I did buy a cool ring and a charm bracelet with a teeny pencil and pencil sharpener attached.

After I bought the jewelry, I left the store. Outside in the bright sunlight were concrete paths leading through pristine grass to countless salmon-colored stucco buildings. Then I realized that I had left one of my purchases in Target, so I went back.

Inside the Target, a Tongan wedding was wrapping up. (By Tongan wedding, I simply mean a wedding in which the bride, groom, and guests were Tongan.) I stood behind the green carpet on which the ceremony was taking place and looked on. The reception was to be held in a Mexican/Tongan restaurant across the way in the mall. The restaurant was called something Spanish, like Muchas Gracias, with two Tongan words below it. (One of the words was haveli, which is Hindi and not Tongan, but I guess my sleeping brain thought it sounded like Havili, which is the Tongan last name of a USC football player who is related to my mission companion.) Basically, the restaurant was run by the owners of a local Mexican restaurant chain who decided to open a Tongan-themed location.


The wedding party proceeded to the restaurant. This blind white guy was standing near me trying to sign an order form for something the Target didn't carry. "Does anybody have a pencil?" he asked. I thought pens were better for signing order forms, but I still offered the tiny pencil from my bracelet. When the blind man reached for it to try to use it, the pencil and the sharpener broke off. I knelt on the floor to get them and the blind man tripped over me.

A bird appeared and told me that I'd get extra points in the game if I entered the Mexican/Tongan restaurant through the kitchen and talked my way into the private reception. I would have to use my Spanish skills because the kitchen staff were all Mexican and Guatemalan.

An evil white witch clouded over sky and zoomed down on a broomstick. She was coming straight for me. I went downstairs and zoomed through the food court labyrinth avoiding her. I tried to go into one restaurant, but I didn't have enough points yet so it just looked like an empty Jack in the Box. Finally I got enough points to jump through a magic well in a whirlwind of white sparkles that transported me to the back door of the Mexican/Tongan restaurant, and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment